Point to remember: I spent my childhood in the Philippines. 5 years in the province, 6.5 years in the city.
10 Things I Dreamed I Would Be
1. Flight Stewardess: Don’t laugh. I liked their uniforms. They got to fly on planes and go anywhere they wanted (or so I thought). Plus, all the airline commercials always had pretty flight attendants…
2. Miss Universe: Yes. I wanted to be a beauty queen. I wanted to win the money, wear pretty gowns, and have my very own crown! I just wasn’t sure about the talent and bikini part.
3. Pilot: The captain, of course! Yep. I wanted to see the world!
4. Doctor: Okay. So I’m Asian, right? Being a doctor would have brought me so much prestige!
5. Mom: Just kidding! Moving on…
5. Model: Getting to wear new and fashionable clothes for a living really appealed to me. Of course, that was before I even knew anything about anorexia, bulimia, drug addictions, etc…
6. Singer: Fame and Fortune. Except I knew I couldn’t sing. But that didn’t mean I couldn’t still dream about it!
7. Astronaut: I really wanted to ride in a rocket ship and see space.
8. Dancer: I don’t mean with a pole and all that! I wanted to be a backup dancer for some famous singer. Whenever I watched a show, I always loved watching the dancers in the background!
9. News Reporter: This is a very respectable profession in the Philippines. And I didn’t want to be just any reporter either… I wanted to be the one on camera with TV Patrol – the most respected and most popular news reporting agency in the whole Philippine country (and Filipino communities in America)!
10. Ninja: Blame it on the “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” if you like, but I’ve always thought ninjas were cool. Of course, I wanted to be a white ninja because I had to be the good guy who saved everyone. Like really, in real life!
So…are you done laughing now? Vain, power hungry, and totally oblivious about the real world. That was me!
Now I’m 32 with 3 kids. I know way more than I want to know about the real world.
I’d like to keep my SAHM job as long as I can, thank you very much!